On March 20th, 2020 Mychael Johnson’s life was stolen by Tallahassee Police Department officer Zackri Jones. Mychael Johnson, a loving father of four, son and sibling, is survived by two sisters and a brother. His family desperately seeks answers while receiving nothing but radio silence from TPD who killed another unarmed black man.
“I think that there is way more to the story that we aren’t getting and the small details that we have received just doesn’t sound like him at all, it’s just not sitting well and adding up with the family,” Johnson’s sister Mildred Richardson said. “I want people to know what type of person that he was, I don’t want his name to go in vain, and I also want people to be more aware of the police violence against the Black community, and that if we all stick together so many things can be accomplished.” Click here to read more.
Much about this incident is still unclear. We are calling on TPD, City Commission and the State Attorney to:
- Release any body cam or dash cam footage
- Commit to an independent investigation controlled by community members and not TPD itself
Here are a few ways you help support our effort and Mychael Johnson’s family
- Click here to send an email to all relevant local officials. We’ve provided an email for you, but we encourage you to customize it, and then to share with your friends.
- Click here to help the family raise funds to cover the cost of arrangements and to help them acquire legal representation
- We are organizing a car caravan protest this Saturday, April 25th, at 12 PM. We are meeting at the Lake Ella Plaza, 1694 N Monroe St. Please follow this link for more information and to RSVP